1 hr 15 min
|Saturated fat||1.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||0.6 g|
Add to Shopping List
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange artichoke hearts on a nonstick baking sheet. Roast, flipping occasionally, until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the artichoke hearts from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. In a large bowl, combine the warm artichoke hearts with the spinach and set aside.
- While the artichokes are roasting, add olive oil to a skillet and warm over low heat. Sauté the onions, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the béchamel: Heat the milk in a pot over medium-high heat until just before a simmer, about 8 minutes. Set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir constantly. The mixture will bubble and then brown. Once the mixture is a golden brown, slowly pour in a stream of the hot milk, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, until sauce is thick, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the béchamel from the heat. Stir in the Gruyere cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach-artichoke mixture and then onion-garlic mixture. Add to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a couple of times until slightly chunky but spreadable. For a tangier dip, stir in lemon juice, if desired.
- Spread mixture in a ceramic baking dish or ramekins. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes. Serve with bread, chips, or raw vegetables.