Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Pot Pie
Update traditional chicken pot pie with this veggie-stuffed version
1 hour 30 min
6 individual sheets
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Brown chicken in pot, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pot and set aside on a plate. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic to pot and sauté for about a minute. Pour wine over onions and garlic and bring to a boil. Let wine reduce for about 2 minutes, scraping bottom of pot to get all the flavor from the chicken.
- Return chicken to pot and add broth. Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes. Remove pot from heat and take chicken out of the broth to cool. Strain the broth and reserve the onion mixture. Keep 2 cups of the broth and freeze the rest for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the vegetables until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes depending on what kinds of vegetables you’re using. Remove from heat and toss with onion mixture. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Once the chicken has cooled enough to handle, shred chicken with two forks and add to the vegetable mixture. Pile the mixture into a glass 8"x 8"x2.5" casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together flour and remaining 2 tablespoons oil with a wooden spoon. Cook roux for about 2 minutes, or until mixture begins to bubble and no more flour is visible, stirring constantly. Add the 2 cups reserved stock and whisk constantly. Mixture will begin to thicken after 5 minutes. Bring gravy to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until gravy is thick, an additional 5 minutes. Whisk yogurt into the gravy.
- Pour gravy over chicken and vegetable mixture and top with fresh herbs. Cover with phyllo dough and trim the overhang. Cut two vents into the top of the phyllo dough. Brush phyllo dough with a bit of olive oil. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Let pie stand 10 minutes to cool before serving.
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||2.1 g|