Add to Shopping List
Salt and ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/2 pounds
1 1/2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Arrange on parchment-covered baking sheet and brush with oil.
- Turn slices and brush other side with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Bake zucchini until softened, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Turn oven to 400 F.
- While zucchini is roasting, peel sweet potatoes if desired.
- Scrub and dice sweet potatoes.
- Place in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Set pan over high heat, cover, and bring water to a boil.
- Once water reaches a boil, uncover, decrease heat to a simmer, and cook potatoes until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in colander, return to saucepan, and mash lightly.
- Add milk, butter, salt, and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Set aside.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and carrots and cook until soft, around 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, around 1 minute.
- Add beef, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon ground pepper, and cook until meat is browned and cooked through, around 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme, oregano, and rosemary; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables and cook until vegetables are beginning to thaw, around 5 more minutes.
- Coat an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the zucchini on the bottom of the baking dish, layering any leftover slices at a right angle from the bottom layer.
- Spread the meat mixture over the zucchini, covering zucchini completely.
- Spread mashed sweet potatoes on top, using a fork to create decorative lines and/or peaks in the mashed potatoes.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet and bake in oven until potatoes begin to brown, around 25 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack at least 10 minutes before serving.