February is American Heart Month and Black History Month—honor both by making a heart-healthy version of a traditional African American dish. These black-eyed peas are packed with veggies and spices, making it both a healthy and tasty dish
- If using uncooked peas, soak them overnight, then rinse and drain. If using canned, drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Set a large sauté pan on medium heat; add olive oil, and chopped veggies: onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, and garlic. Stir to combine. Once mushrooms brown, add Worchestershire sauce and continue to stir.
- Add peas, paprika, black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, basil, parsley, and cayenne pepper; stir until combined. Add broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, around 45 minutes for uncooked peas, or 15-20 minutes for canned peas.
- Add broth or additional spices, as desired.
- Spoon onto a plate and enjoy!
Tip: Pair with our healthy sautéed collard greens.