Want to age strong and injury-free? Healthy hips are key.
Want to age strong and injury-free? Healthy hips are key, says Liz Davis, M.A., a Columbus, Ohio–based exercise physiologist. Show yours a little TLC with these top stretches
- Stand roughly 1 to 2 feet in front of a doorway with your feet shoulder-width apart, toes and knees facing forward.
- Raise your arms to shoulder height. Bend your elbows so your palms press against the frame. This is your starting position.
- Bending forward slightly, move your left foot forward, knee slightly bent, until you feel a stretch in your right hip and upper thigh. Hold for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Return to starting position. Switch sides. Repeat 3 times.
- Lie flat on the floor. Bend your right knee. Keep your left leg straight, foot relaxed. This is your starting position.
- Lift your left leg 45 to 50 degrees. Move your leg counterclockwise in a smooth circle. Perform 5 circles. Switch directions and perform another 5 circles.
- Return your leg back to starting position. Switch legs and repeat the same sequence.
Side leg lift
- Lie on your side, back against a wall. Keep your torso still and your belly button drawn in. Don’t rotate your hips. This is your starting position.
- Lift your top leg toward the ceiling, keeping your leg straight, your foot flexed, and your toes parallel to the ground.
- Return your leg back to starting position. That’s 1 rep.
- Do 5 reps on each leg.