6 reasons to shop at your neighborhood farmers market
Shopping for local, organic fruits and vegetables is good for your wallet, your community, and your health. Here are the top 6 reasons to seek out foods grown near you.
- You can eat a greater variety. Small-scale farmers plant a range of produce, including organic and heirloom options not always available at grocery stores.
- Local farmers often use fewer chemicals. Choose organic when you can to avoid harmful additives.
- The taste can’t be beat. Foods grown near you have time to ripen before they’re harvested.
- Locally grown foods have more nutrients. Foods that travel shorter distances keep more vitamins than those from farther away.
- You support the local economy. Local farmers sell directly to you, cutting out the middleman.
- It’s better for the environment. Foods from distant sources can travel more than 1,500 miles. A shorter travel distance means less gas and a smaller carbon footprint.