Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns
1 cinnamon bun
3 hrs 20 min
- Heat almond milk on low in a small saucepan until warm to the touch, remove from heat. Stir in sugar and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes. Mixture should be foamy.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, cinnamon, and dried fruit. Add the yeast mixture, coconut oil, and egg. Mix using your hands until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about a minute. Shape into a ball and place in a lightly greased large metal bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set in a warm place. Let the dough rise until it doubles in volume, about two hours.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down to deflate dough and release air. Shape into 12 small buns and arrange in a 9” x 13” lightly greased baking dish. Cover loosely with a baking towel and let rise for a second time until puffed, about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Score a cross in the top of each bun. Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting, or skip it for a lower-calorie treat.
- Handy Hint: Turning out bread dough can be tough, but it helps if you lightly dust your hands with flour as you go. It'll keep the dough from sticking and make it easier to work with.
|Saturated fat||4.4 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0.2 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||0.4 g|